ads

Thursday 2 June 2016

Examples of exercises in English - 9

English Exercises



A.           Fill the Blanks!

1.            A   : Go back to sleep. It’s only six o’clock in the morning.
B   : I’m not sleepy. I (sleep, already) ____________________________. I’m going to get up. 
2.            I woke up at six this morning, but I couldn’t get back to sleep. I wasn’t sleepy. I (sleep, already) _________________________ for eight hours.
3.            A   : I introduce you to Professor Newton at the meeting tonight.
B   : You don’t need to. I (meet, already) _______________________him.
4.            Jack offered to introduce me to Professor Newton, but it wasn’t necessary. I (meet, already) _________________________ him.
5.            A   : Do you want to go to the movie tonight?
B   : What are you going to see?
A   : Distant Drums.
B   : I (see, already) __________________________ it. Thanks anyway.
6.            I didn’t go to the movie with Francisco last Tuesday night. I (see, already) _________________ it
7.            A   : Jane? Jane? Is that you? How are you? I haven’t seen you for ages!
B   : Excuse me? Are you talking to me?
A   : Oh. You aren’t Jane. I’m sorry. It is clear that I (make) ______________________ a mistake. Please excuse me.
8.            Yesterday I approached a stranger who looked like Jane Moore and started talking to her. But she wasn’t Jane. It was clear that I (make) _______________________________ a mistake. I was really embarrassed.

B.           Errors analysis: Present and Past Verbs. Please Correct The Errors!

9.            Since I came to this country, I am learning a lot about the way of life here.

10.        Before I come here, I never was buying anything from a vending machine.

11.        I arrive here only a short time ago. I’m here only since last Friday

12.        When I arrive here two months ago, I hadn’t known much about the United States. I saw many movies about America, but that wasn’t enough.

13.        My understanding of this country changed a lot since I arrived.



C.     Choose the Correct answer!

14.     Aan      : What about your trip last week?
Agung : Hm, I __________________ satisfied with it. The service was good.
a. feel                                                d.  felt
b.  was feeling                                     e. had been feeling
c.  had felt
15.     X          : Your English is good. When did you start studying it?
Y          : In 1980. And I ______________ It for more than 20 years.
a. will study                                       d. is going to study
b. have to study                                 e.  have been studying
c. am studying
16.     Tia       : John, have you done the assignment given by Mr. Simon?
John     : Not yet. I _______________ it.
a. will still do                                     d. was still doing
b. have already done                          e.  am still doing
c. have to do
17.     we began talking about an hour ago. When the telephone rang we were still talking.
We can say : ……………….
We ____________ for about an hour when the telephone rang
a. talked                                            d. have been talking
b. had been talking                             e.  have talked
c. were talking
18.     Why didn’t you attend our meeting?
I ____________ for an overseas call from my family
a. am waiting                                     d. had waited
b. was waiting                                    e.  had been waiting
c. waited
19.     It was raining hard. But by the time class was over, the rain ________________
a. stopped                                         d. was stopping
b. had stopped                                   e.  stops
c. has stopped
20.     Teacher   : Have you finished doing the exercise, guys?
Students : We are sorry sir. We __________ it for half an hour.
The suitable phrase to complete the conversation is ……………………
a. are doing                                       d. have been doing
b. did                                                e.  had been doing
c. have done
21.     Brian    : What was your sister doing when you arrived home yesterday?
John     : She ______________  in the kitchen.
a. was cooking                                   d. has cooked
b. is cooking                                      e.  cooked
c. has been cooking
22.     Clara    : What were you doing when I phoned your mother last night?
Ann      : I ____________ TV.
a. am watching                                   d. will watch
b. was watching                                  e.  watched
c. had watched
23.     While I  ______________ in my room, I heard someone knocking at the door.
a. read                                              d. have been reading
b. was reading                                    e.  had been reading
c. am reading
24.     My mother was preparing the dinner when I  ______________ home.
a. came                                             d. have been coming
b. am coming                                     e.  had been coming
c. was coming
25.     The postman ______________ while I ______________ my car
a. come, was washing                         d. came, was washing
b. came, washed                                 e.  is coming, washed
c. was coming, washed
26.     She ________________ a nurse for a year.
a. has been                                        d. have been
b. is                                                  e.  was
c. has
27.     Rebecca ________________ to eat hamburger now.
a. want                                              d. wants
b. is wanting                                      e.  wanted
c. has wanted
28.     He ________________ all of his duties so he is completely free now.
a. does                                              d. has been doing
b. is doing                                         e.  had done
c. has done
29.     They ________________ for the bus for ten minutes.
a. has been waiting                             d. have been waiting
b. are waiting                                     e.  waited
c. have waiting
30.     I ________________ the novel because I am still busy now.
a. has read                                        d. have been reading
b. have read                                       e.  haven’t read
c. am reading
31.     I did not meet Seanu when I visited him yesterday. He ___________ for Bandung.
a. will leave                                        d. has left
b. had left                                          e.  would leave
c. is leaving
32.     “Ten years ago there was a statue in front of this building”
“Well, it ________________ there for three years now”
a. is                                                  d.  had been
b. has been                                        e. is being 
c.  was

 

D. Analyze The Error!

e.g.:  she had never seen any of Picasso’s paintings                    (c, visited )
                 a                b
    before I visit the art museum
                          c

33.     I hadn’t never seen snow before I moved to Canada last year.           (                )
         A                                                  B     C   
34.     Sang Joon, are you listen to me? I am talking to you!                       (                )
                       A             B                        C
35.     He works very hard.                                                                       (                )
                                     A           
He starts at 07.30 and finished at 8 o’clock in the evening. 
           B                               C
36.     We enjoyed the party last night. We danced a lot                              (                )
                                                                         A
and talking to a lot of people. The party finished at midnight.
             B                                                       C
37.     The phone rang while I did the dishes.                                             (                )
                                                 A
I dried my hands and answered it.
       B 
When I heard my husband’s voice, I was very happy.
                  C


E. PLEASE TRANSLATE INTO ENGLISH!

38.     Seorang dukun biasanya mandi setahun sekali

39.     Ketika teman sekamarku sedang nonton TV, aku sedang mengerjakan PR

40.     Ketika aku membuka pintu, aku melihat ayah dan ibu sedang menyapu halaman.

__

0 komentar:

Post a Comment